Am I Enabling My Colleague?
These attitudes indicate an enabling mindset:
- My colleagues are “above” problems with alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc.
- Addiction is a moral issue – it is a matter of personal choice to use.
- I hesitate to confront a colleague out of fear for jeopardizing my personal or professional relationship with him or her.
- These matters shouldn’t be discussed so as to protect a colleague’s privacy.
- He or she is merely going through a temporary, rough patch of life.
- If their conduct does not affect me or my courtroom, it is not my problem.